Project 17

Is your child 'in need'?


To access support under section 17, your child must be ‘in need’. This is a legal definition. It means that, without support from the local authority

• your child’s health or development would be significantly impaired, or

• your child would be unable to achieve a reasonable standard of health or development, or

• your child is disabled


If you and your child have no home, or not enough money for food, travel and other essentials, it is very likely that your child will be ‘in need’.


If your child is not in need, the local authority cannot support you under section 17.


If your child is in need, the local authority has the power to help. But it does not have to help your family unless the other conditions (set out in the following pages) are also met.



BACK          NEXT

 Created by Bright Spark Digital ©